Parenting by Modeling. Be the person you want your children to grow up to be.
Your values matter. Use your values to raise caring, responsible, resilient and intelligent children.
Value parenting is a parenting approach based on Values that you as parents hold most dear. Value parenting is thus a universal approach because parents from any nationality, background or society can adopt the approach and orient it around what its core values are.
Values are principles or standards of behaviour that you deem important in life. To talk about values is to talk about what kind of person you want your child to be.
For a parent, it’s important that their children understand what is good and what are the long-term consequences of their actions. Children need to develop an intuition for the good and to value this goodness over immediate experience.
An idealist value-based mind has a clear understanding of the immediate and long-term good and chooses to do the right thing rather than the most convenient or advantageous thing. This may require one to go through hardships and inconvenience in the short run, and be mocked by many sometimes but he or she chooses what’s good in the long term.
A child brought up with an idealist mindset will seek a cure and not a fix, a solution, not a workaround, a confrontation, not a retreat, strength and not sympathy, respect and not praise, responsibilities not tasks, career not jobs, joy not just fun, journey and not ride.
- How parents can prioritize their timeAs parents, we want to take up the responsibility of raising our children entirely. But many of us think this … More
- Questions to uncover your Personal Well-being RecipeWhat is human flourishing and what enables it? Dr. Seligman’s PERMA™ theory of well-being is an attempt to answer these … More
- Emotional needs of children as they growStatistics show that 50% of mental health problems are established by age 14 and 75% by age 24. It is … More
- Launching your ChildI had given an overview of a family lifecycle in a blog post previously. On this post I diving deeper … More
- Tracking Moral Development of ChildrenMoral development is the process through which children develop proper attitudes and behaviours toward other people in society, based on … More
- Value Parenting a Child’s MindThe Oxford dictionary defines parenting as the process of caring for your child or children. Parenting is usually seen as … More
- Outgrowing the Parenting InstinctOne of human life’s greatest joys is to become a parent. The sheer happiness of holding your child first time … More
- Is Meat right for Children?In this post, I express my stand on the topic based on my own experience. My intention here is not … More
- Infuse light into Children’s mindsChildren are beings of light. They are embodiments of what is called in Vedanta, jñāna-śaktiḥ, the power of knowledge. They … More
- Non-violent Ways of Disciplining ChildrenThis post can be treated as a continuation of two previous posts- one on violent discipline and another on rights … More
- Knowing Children’s RightsAs grownups, adults I am sure most of us are aware of our rights- how we like to be treated, … More
- It is Wrong to Hit Children. Period.One of the biggest evils plaguing the lives of the children of the world today is violent discipline practices. Spanking, … More
- Seeing Family Life as a Life CycleEverything that lives follows a lifecycle. I learnt recently how even our family lives trace a lifecycle. A family life … More
- Parenting, Religion and AtheismAll of us have experienced and seen the security and comfort a child derives while being in the company of … More
- Why We Need to Understand and Teach Healthy NationalismOne of my favourite writers Jared Diamond, Professor of Geography at the University of California, LA says that asking whether … More
- How to Create a Nourishing Space for Children to Learn and GrowOne of the most beautiful gifts that Goa (on the West coast of India) bestows on its inhabitants is space- … More
- Let children see the good and bad in youAs parents point children to see not just the good in you but the bad in you. Don’t make it look … More
- Being a girl child in IndiaThe Indian constitution today treats women and men alike and bestows upon them the same rights and duties. There are … More
- From Learning to KnowingWith children, we normally associate ‘learning’ to represent all activities of acquiring new understanding, knowledge, behaviours, skills, values, attitudes, and … More
- On ChildrenA century ago, in a war-torn world, the Lebanese-American poet, painter, and philosopher Kahlil Gibran wrote Prophet in 1923. In … More
- Trust a better guide than beliefI define ‘trust’ here as a process of reaching a firm judgement that something is true. This is one of … More
Follow My Blog
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.